Tuesday, November 23, 2010

New Musical Obsession- Jem

Not too long ago, my friend Dei had me listen to the song 24 by Jem. I loved it. I started listening to a lot of Jem's music, and I fell in love with it! Her album Finally Woken came out in 2005, but I had never really heard much of her music.

Her music is technically considered Pop according to to genres on Windows Media Player and iTunes. But it's not like what I think of when I think Pop. It's very mellow and the lyrics are amazing. She also writes all of her stuff (and she's not a corporate sell-out). I would highly recommend at least looking up the songs on YouTube. All the songs on the album Finally Woken are incredible. Here they are in order:
  1. They
  2. Come on Closer
  3. Finally Woken
  4. Save Me
  5. 24
  6. Missing You
  7. Wish I
  8. Just a Ride
  9. Falling For You
  10. Stay Now
  11. Flying High
My favorites are 24, Falling for You, They, Flying High, and Missing You. They're all really good, but those are the ones that got me the most. 24 is about looking at life from the perspective of someone that only has 24 hours to live. Part of the song says:

Been given 24 hours to tie up
loose ends to make amends
His eyes said it all I started to
fall and the silence deafened
Head spinning round no time to
sit down just wanted to run and
run and run
Be careful they say don't wish life
away, now I've one day

And I can't believe
How I've been wasting my time

In 24 hours they'll be
laying flowers
on my life, it's over tonight
I'm not messing, no I
need your blessing
and your promise to live free
please do it for me

The song They is an apology for ignorance in today's society, and the lack of understanding of what we do and why we do it. The first verse and part of the chorus of They says:

Who made up all the rules
We follow them like fools
Believe them to be true
Don't care to think them through

And I'm sorry, so sorry
I'm sorry it's like this
I'm sorry, so sorry
I'm sorry we do this

The song Falling for You is about overcoming bad past experiences and moving on with your life. Part of the song says:

And I've got to be sure
Coz it's been so long
And I cannot take
the pain again
If it all goes wrong

Coz I can feel it, baby
I feel like I'm falling for you
But I'm scared to let go

The song Flying High is a great song about understanding your feelings. Part of the song says:

But I'm flying so high
high off the ground
when you're around
And I can feel your high
rocking me inside
it's too much to hide

I know, oh yes
I know, that we can't
be together
but, I just like to dream
It's so strange
the way our paths have crossed
how we were
brought together

hmm
it's written in the stars it seems

The song Missing You is a very emotionally charged song (while staying mellow). This song Jem wrote in loving memory of PJ Matthews, who was very close to her. Part of the song says:

I'll always be thankful
for the time we had
We were blessed
I should celebrate
but I feel so sad
All the wonderful memories
just make me fall apart
And it feels like somebody's
stabbed me in the heart

And ohhh I know I promised
Mmmm that I wouldn't cry

But I, yes I, miss you
and it's killing me inside
Ooh well I, yes I, miss you
want you by my side

All lyrics and information are from the front jacket of the CD Finally Woken.

No comments:

Post a Comment