Hey everyone,
In the past I've mostly just done book reviews when I have free blog time. So, to mix things up, I'm going to write about something else. Now, for the real question...what to write about? Well, I'm in a college writing class at Franklin University (I participate in the PSEO program that allows high school students to take college classes) and I've learned quite a few things about college that I didn't know before.
First, in college, no one tells you what all of your work is going to be. I was so used to having my teachers say this, this, and that is due on such and such date. In my college class, the professor tells us the major assignments, but the smaller things are only posted on our online syllabus/login. These smaller assignments might not be spoken about in class, but they are still just as important to be finished on time. I was shocked by these assignments the first time, and had to rush through them to get them done on time. After that, I made sure to check each link to check if there are any extra assignments.
Second, no one cares whether you show up or not. If you show up, you get credit, if you don't, you don't get credit. (Class participation credit). If you miss so many classes, you get what is called a "Z" grade (at least at Franklin). This means you fail the class, get no credit, and still have to pay for the class. The university doesn't really care if you show up, as long as they get their money.
Third, the homework load I've gotten so far doesn't seem like much more than my high school classes. The other students in the class say that the more specific the class, the more homework you get. So since I'm in a class required for most majors, the homework load isn't as large. Also, because I am taking the 12 week format instead of the 6 week format, I have more time to complete quality work.
Taking a college class on campus at Franklin University has been quite a learning experience for me. I hope to continue with the PSEO program, and then go on to a bachelor's degree...and hopefully a master's after that. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment